Due to rain, the match was pushed back for some time.
To push (something) back, “To delay something / To move something into the future”.
So, you conducted a survey and the results were pushed back due to unfortunate events. Here it means you were trying to get the results, but they were delayed due to some events or it was moved into the future.
- The firm wanted to push back the deadline but was refused.
- The firm wanted to delay/postpone the deadline but was refused.
- Everyone wanted to push back the match practice for four hours but the coach denied.
- Everyone wanted to push the match back practice for four hours but the coach denied.
To push back also means, ” To refuse/ To resist/ To oppose “.
- The company is pushing back on the claim of paying no taxes.
- The company is refusing/ resisting on the claim of paying no taxes.
Also it’s separable:
- I advised him not to push back his dreams due to criticism.
- I advised him not to push his dreams back due to criticism.
Let’s look at some other examples:
- The inward sweep to my belly button, my hands turn out and push back.
- The food industry is always looking for new ways to push back the due date of their products.
- He is never going to push back the change as he knows the circumstances.
Here we are going to test what you have learn:
“ QUIZ OF PV SET 1 “